Making a good video requires planning, careful execution and thoughtful choices. Here are some tips to help you create an effective video:
1. Goal and target audience:
- Clearly define what you want to achieve with the video.
- Know the needs and skill level of your target audience.
- Try different "genres". Instead of a powerpoint presentation, what if your video was a case study, for example, to be used as a basis for exercises or an expert interview?
- Draw up a script or plan that includes the structure and main message of the video.
- Keep the video short and to the point. In general, less than 10 minutes is recommended.
3. Technical implementation:
- Use high quality video equipment if possible.
- Choose an appropriate angle and background if possible. Provide adequate lighting. Do not shoot into backlighting.
4. Clear presentation:
- Speak clearly and calmly.
- Avoid long speeches. Enliven with examples.
5. Visual elements:
- Use visual aids such as graphics, pictures and diagrams.
- Highlight important concepts and present them clearly.
- Cut out unnecessary parts and correct errors with editing software. You can edit with tools such as Panopto, Adobe's Rush or the free Clipchamp from the Microsoft Store.
- Use background music or sound effects judiciously.
- Provide subtitles or a script to accompany the video.
- Watch the video a couple of times and ask colleagues or friends to give feedback.
9. Publishing and sharing
- Upload the video to the Xamk video service Panopto or Onedrive.
- Share the video with your target audience and promote it as appropriate.
10. Monitor, feedback and update:
- Track amount of views of Panopto videos with Stats.
- Ask for feedback. Update or improve the video as needed.